Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Tis the season, but not just because it's the season

I find myself so humbled today with my life. In these trying economic times, I have a great job, a wonderful husband, a lovely home, and a knowledge of the true gospel in my life. I'm very aware that circumstances change and are changing all over the country for millions of people who thought their life was set and job secure. My heart aches for all the people out there who are struggling because I know, at any moment, that could be me. As I learn and grow and appreciate things so much more, I grow in my love of the Thanksgiving holiday.
I found this quote today, and it has struck a chord inside me:

"The Pilgrims made seven times more graves than huts. No Americans have been more impoverished than these who, nevertheless, set aside a day of thanksgiving."

Amen to that.

2 comments:

Carrie Dixon said...

We are so blessed! We started reading the Doctrine & Covenants with the kids last night and it blows me away at how within the first 20 verses in chpt 1 it totally describes whats going on right now in these last days. I always try to remember when I think I have it so bad that there are sooooo many others out there that would give everything they have to be able to enjoy a home, food, healthcare, medicine, and children. We truly are so very blessed.

Daniel & Valerie said...

You are so cute!! And speak the truth!! This sounds so selfish but I have a great job and because of the economy and people being let go..I cant stay home with my baby!! I feel I have to help Dan protect our family