Monday, April 25, 2011

In case you haven't heard . . .

Our baby already has a name! Before we found out the sex of our baby, Ryan and I already had names picked out. The fact that the baby turned out to be a boy, made everything really special for us. We wanted a strong name, a family name, and a name with a lot of meaning behind it. So, if you haven't heard me say it already, our little guy will be named

Kenneth Royce Pedersen

Kenneth comes from Ryan's uncle, who died in his early twenties fighting in Vietnam.
Royce comes from my uncle, who passed just last year.

I did not have the honor of knowing "Uncle Kenny", but I've read stories from those who fought with him in the war. He was 23 when he died from wounds sustained in a grenade explosion in Vietnam. He had only been fighting there a couple months. Here are a few words from a fellow soldier of his:

"He was not your average kid, not at all. Pedersen was that rare kind of person that made the world a better place by his just being there; the kind of young man we'd all like to have for a son, or brother, or husband, or best friend. He was tall, blond, clear eyes, a strong face; very Scandinavian-like, but it was more than his good looks that set him apart. He was intelligent and kind, mature, focused, quiet and calm in his manner and he was always looking out for those around him. Pedersen never spoke of it, but one sensed that he had some very deeply felt spiritual conviction. He rarely, if ever, used any of the foul language that was so common with virtually all of us. I doubt he had any natural inclination to be a combat soldier; he was too kind and gentle, but in a very short time he was widely respected as one of the best grunts in Delta company. Pedersen didn't act like a good guy, he was a good guy."

My Uncle Royce had always been a prominent figure in my life. With my grandparents on my dad's side passing away when I was very young, my Uncle Royce always filled that void. He was more like my grandpa than my uncle. He rarely missed a birthday, holiday, or special event that I was involved in. Soon after he was married, he was in a terrible car accident that left him with debilitating injuries that he would struggle with for the rest of his life. In spite of that, he become known for his generosity, humility, and perseverance. He never hesitated to show his love and concern for you. He had a strong testimony of the gospel and the spirit just radiated from him. I miss him so much, but I know that he's now free of pain and watching down on me from above. I can still feel his love, and I know he has watched over me throughout my trials with this pregnancy and I know he's with my little boy's spirit right now, telling him how wonderful of a family he is soon going to be apart of.

I am so thankful that these two great men lived such incredible legacies.

Ryan and I are honored to give our son this name.

3 comments:

Erin said...

I love that your blogging again :) and such a perfect name! And your Kenneth will love that it means so much!!! Can't wait to meet your little guy!!

Anna said...

I love that name!

Jared and Hannah Dance said...

thanks for posting this. save it for when kenny's here and read it to him often. he will love it!